Montserrat, from the twelfth century manuscripts produced in the Scriptorium.
The copyists are reproduced texts, from religious subjects, humanities,
music and science, depending on the parameters of the time.
Later, in the late fifteenth century, the monastic reform promoted by
Abbot Garcias de Cisneros, joined a typography workshop where Montserrat
produced their first silverware of the hand of John Luschner workshop.
Later, the typographer John Rosenbach collaborated with the press of Montserrat.
This facilitated a considerable increase in the old library Montserrat.
During the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries flourished a remarkable school of composers in the Choir,
and the library was increasing and diversifying their holdings up to meet
thousands of works on their shelves.
The most tragic moment in its history took place during the War of Independence, when in 1811
The monastery was destroyed and lost or scattered most of his treasure
The beginning of the current library is the work of the abbots and librarians of the period
reconstruction in the late nineteenth century and, in a particular way of Abbot Anthony M. Marcet,
early twentieth centuries. The circumstances of the first world war were easily
the acquisition of funds for the current library.
In 1917 it was believed necessary modification of the deep and ancient local
the hands of Josep Puig i was giving the library a few rooms for
most frequently used sections: a reading room for reference works and
central hall with a gallery for older funds.
The growth of the library continued to rise continued, although at a rate less
faster, until 1936. The Spanish civil war first and then the Second World War
interrupted the pace of acquisitions.
In 1963 took home the realization of a project habilitatció a room with
installation of compact cabinets that contain serials ever
In the late 60s, it was necessary to extend the deposit book, and was
built for this purpose a room with three floors of steel shelving,
a total of twelve thousand linear feet available.
Library of Montserrat
The background of Montserrat Bibioteca comprises about 300,000
monographs, some 6700 periodicals, 1,500 manuscripts, 400
incunabula, 400 old maps and important collections of prints and joys.
Of all the manuscripts out the Red Book, written between the fourteenth and fifteenth with Segel
Miscellaneous • Ania a theological and devotional texts, and other geographical aspects,
cultural and social. Also include a sheet with a piece of Forum ludicum,
it's a Catalan translation of the twelfth century Visigothic a compilation of laws,
one of the earliest known texts in Catalan.
Its funds are specialized in humanities and science, religious history
Universal, particularly in medieval Europe, history of Catalonia and the countries
Coraona of Aragon and an important collection of works on the Spanish Civil War.