Santa Cecilia and Hermitages
There are some 15 chapels, former hermitages, dotted over Mount Montserrat.
formerly subject to the dioceses of Barcelona or Vic, they were all abandoned
when the hermits were forced to flee before the French invasion in 1811. Though
they were later rebuilt, few were inhabited once more and most were finally
abandoned in 1822, after which the buildings began to deteriorate. All that
remains now, in some cases, are the walls.
More information about hMore information about hermitages see the
Natural Park website.
Monastery of Santa Cecília stood some four kilometres from that of
Montserrat, on the road to Can Maçana. The church, simple and austere, basically
that same as that originally built in the 10th century, is one of the purest
examples of early Catalan Romanesque art. The three apses, with Lombard arches.
correspond to the nave and two aisles in the interior, with hammer-carved stone
walls that were originally whitewashed. The building is harmoniously integrated
into the landscape, forming a beautiful site. The Monastery was founded
between 942 and 945 by Abbot Cesari. The community was never large, and the
monastery was finally merged with that of Montserrat in 1539. Today, Santa
Cecília houses a mountain refuge.
Hermitage of Sant Joan
Is one of the most accessible from the Sanctuary. To
reach it, we take the funicular railway of the same name. From the station at
the top, we can enjoy splendid views of the monastery.
Herrmitage of La Santísima Trinitat
Are remains of some of the walls, the cistern and the Chapel of El Sant Crist,
More rooms were added to the hermitage in the 17th century as, along with the
Hermitage of Sant Dimes, it had direct access to the monastery via a staircase
with 660 steps.
Hermitage of Sant Benet
Was built in 1536 to shorten the distance between the two hermitages. All that
now remains, however, is a chapel-shaped building built later, and now used as a
Hermitage of Santa Magdalena
Remains of walls and cisterns are conserved.
Hermitage of Sant Antoni
Over the "Paret dels Diables", near "Cavall